Rhinoplasty and Nasal Surgery
Plastic surgery of the nose, commonly known as rhinoplasty, is one of the most common yet challenging cosmetic procedures. The key to a successful outcome resides in creating a natural and well-proportioned nose without sacrificing an individual’s breathing function. This can only be accomplished through long discussions between the patient and the facial plastic surgeon. The patient’s desires are of utmost importance in nasal surgery.
Additionally, Dr. Azizzadeh is double-board certified in both, facial plastic surgery as well as otolaryngology (surgical specialist of nasal disorders), which provide him with a distinctive insight into both the aesthetics and function of the nose.
There are many different types of patients who present for rhinoplasty nose job surgery. Each group presents different challenges to and requires individualized treatment plans.
- Primary Rhinoplasty – Individuals who desire improvement in nasal aesthetics without a history of prior nasal operation.
- Revision Rhinoplasty – Individuals who have had previous rhinoplasty, but are unhappy with the aesthetic and/or functional results. Learn more about revision rhinoplasty.
- Rhinoplasty in teenagers and young adults – Individuals in this age group are seeking improvement in their appearance in order to enhance their self-image and avoid peer critique.
- Ethnic Rhinoplasty – (Asian, African-American, Middle Eastern) – In the past, all patients regardless of their ethnic origins were treated with the same rhinoplasty techniques resulting in poor results and unnatural aesthetics. The patient’s ethnicity must play a critical role in the rhinoplasty approach, as well as the ultimate aesthetic objectives. During your consultation, we will go over your overall goals in detail in order to better serve your specific wishes. Most individuals will obtain extremely satisfactory results with the techniques that are employed by Dr. Azizzadeh. Learn more about ethnic rhinoplasty.
- Jewish Rhinoplasty Some ethnic orgins want to keep their natural nose features intact, wile improving their overall appear. To learn more click here jewish rhinoplsty
- Male Rhinoplasty – Dr. Azizzadeh takes a unique approach to men who are seeking improvement in their nose.
- Cleft lip rhinoplasty – All patients who are born with cleft lip deformity have severe nasal deformity. These patients will require definite rhinoplasty and nasal reconstruction in their teenage years. The cleft lip rhinoplasty will focus on creating a normal breathing passage, as well as improving the symmetry and aesthetics of the nose.
- Aging rhinoplasty – As a person gets older, the nose tends to elongate and droop. The skin becomes thicker and less elastic. Many individuals will look younger by simply improving the aesthetics of the nose. The surgical approach in aging rhinoplasty is to create a more youthful appearance to the entire face by reversing the signs of an aging nose. Aging rhinoplasty is an indispensable adjunct to nasal and facial rejuvenation.
- Chin Augmentation – The relationship between the nose and chin is usually ignored in poor nasal aesthetics. Most individuals with an undersized chin are not aware that this feature will result in an illusion of a larger nose. In many of these individuals, only minor nasal surgery is required to significantly improve the nasal aesthetics when accompanied with chin augmentation. There are many options for chin augmentation. The most common approach is using a chin implant to obtain the desired results. Learn more about chin augmentation.
- Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty – There are some situations where Dr Azizzadeh can use a non-surgical approach using dermal fillers such as Restylane or Radiesse to fill depressions, smooth out sharp angles, or change the angle of the nose. The procedure is quick, has no downtime, and the results are immediate. Learn more about non-surgical rhinoplasty.
Your Comprehensive Rhinoplasty Consultation
In our unique Comprehensive Rhinoplasty Consultation, Dr. Azizzadeh will spend a significant amount of time discussing the aesthetics and functional concerns of the patient. The patient’s history will be reviewed in detail. A careful nasal and facial exam will be conducted in conjunction with state of the art 3D digital imaging. Photographs of the patient will be evaluated. Special attention will be made to the lips and chin, as these features can have a significant impact on the perception of the nose.
Three dimensional Vectra photographic system is used to devise a plan that is most appropriate for every individual, and to ensure you and Dr. Azizzadeh agree on the desired results. After further discussions with the patient, Dr. Azizzadeh will create a custom treatment plan. The treatment plan is always unique to each individual, and created using a systematic approach. Several components are evaluated and addressed:
- Skin thickness
- Nasal profile
- Frontal aesthetics of the nose
- Tip and base of the nose
- Nasal-lip relationship
- Nasal-chin relationship
- History of trauma
- Breathing system: septum, nasal valves, turbinates, allergies, sinus disease (Note, if you do have a complex breathing problem Dr. Azizzadeh can bring in his partner Dr. Larian, another ENT specialist.)
An Open or Closed Surgical Approach?
An open or closed surgical approach may be used, it depends on the level of complexity and the areas that need to be addressed. An open rhinoplasty involves making a minimal incision between the nostrils and opening the nasal cavities in order to carry out work. This allows a greater degree of precision from the surgeon. A closed rhinoplasty allows surgeons to operate through the nostrils. This technique is excellent for individuals who require mainly ‘bridge’ modifications. The main decision you will need to make is whether your rhinoplasty is to be open, or closed, and the technique you and Dr. Azizzadeh settle on will depend on a number of factors:
- What you would like to achieve from your rhinoplasty – are you looking to restructure the bridge of your nose? Change the shape of the tip? Alter your nostrils?
- Do you require a reconstructive approach – if you have breathing difficulties or a structural abnormality then this technique will be optimal for fixing that.
- How do you feel about the surgery and recovery time from rhinoplasty? How much improvement could you receive from a non-surgical approach?
Dr. Azizzadeh will help you weight the pros and cons of each option.
Dr. Azizzadeh uses advanced techniques to correct nostril disproportion.
Dr. Azizzadeh uses advanced techniques to correct alar pinching.
What to Expect Before and After Rhinoplasty Surgery
The week prior to the surgery, a final consultation is scheduled in order to review the surgical plan and assure that all the patient’s questions are answered. At that point, pre and postoperative instructions will be given to the patient and reviewed in detail until you are 100% comfortable.
Rhinoplasty nose surgery is usually an outpatient procedure. The recovery time generally lasts between 1-2 weeks. The patient will have a splint on the nose, which will be removed one week later. Most patients will not have nasal packing, and are able to return to work and normal activity within 7-10 days. Following the surgery, Dr. Azizzadeh will see the patient several times in the first 10 days. The patient will thereafter be seen every 3 months for one year and annually after that. Follow up is a critical component of rhinoplasty, as the nose will continue to improve over the first 12 months. Rhinoplasty, unlike all other cosmetic procedures requires a long-term commitment by the surgeon and the patient in order to ensure a successful and satisfactory outcome.
The outcome of rhinoplasty relies on precise techniques to improve the aesthetics and breathing function of the nose. Preoperative planning is paramount to a successful outcome. Dr. Azizzadeh and his knowledgeable and caring staff can help answer all of your questions.
Watch Dr. Azizzadeh Discuss The Evolutionary Process of the Rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty Before and After Pictures
See more rhinoplasty nose job before and after pictures. Our Rhinoplasty goal is to produce an aesthetically pleasing and functionally efficient nose. Read real patient testimonials.
If you’ve made the decision to have rhinoplasty surgery, you may be feeling unsure of what to do next. There are lots of things to organize, from taking time off work to finding the right plastic surgeon. The truth is that preparation and research are both key to a happy outcome with rhinoplasty, and in this guide we’ll be taking you through the three main points that you should be considering before your surgery.
Download Dr. Azizzadeh’s special report on the 3 most important things you need to know about rhinoplasty procedures.
To learn more about rhinoplasty nose surgery, please contact Dr. Azizzadeh to set up an initial consultation. We offer phone consultations for out-of-town patients if you are interested. Please see our website dedicated entirely to rhinoplasty here.